Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

This Week's Quote: Worry Is A Total Waste of Time

Hola fellow Pinterest obsessed people! This week's quote is quite possibly on one of my favorite topics to rant about: worry.

I have written about it in everything from my journal, to school papers, and now on this blog. The sum of how I feel about worry is that it is silly, it just doesn't do a whole lot for you. I know there are legitimate times when it is completely acceptable to be worried, but it should not be something that plagues you and your family everyday.



If you have ever met me, you probably have noticed I am just a bit on the Type A side (understatement of the century). However, I made a pact with myself when I got to college that I was no longer going to believe in stress. All of high school I put so much worry and anxiety on myself to try to be perfect 100% of the time, and obviously, that just does not work out. During my first semester of college,someone shared a bible verse that challenged me to change my habits and views on stress and anxiety. It is Matthew 6:27, and reads “Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?” When it was first read it to me, it hit me like a ton of bricks and realized that I cannot try to control everything, some things are simply not meant to be controlled, and are actually meant to be quite the opposite.

That verse changed me, and probably has saved hundreds of hours of my life. Now when I feel even a tinge of anxiety I know that I must cast my fear on God and move on. What I did not realize before that moment was that God actually commands us to not worry, and that by being full of fear and anxiety we are almost making a statement to God that we do not think He is big, strong, and powerful enough to deal with our menial problems. Yikes, I did not want to be in that boat. Not that I do not worry or freak sometimes, but, for the most part, I have become really level when it comes to “stress.”

My pact has worked out really well for me in college. I still get to be as ambitious and driven as ever, but I have enabled myself to let go when I can’t be in control. One of my good friends from home always used to tell me, “Lindsey, worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but gets you nowhere.” I did not get it then, but I get it now. I wake up every morning and get to choose my attitude for the day, and, when I choose that attitude, I also get to make the decision to allow or not allow anxiety into my life.



Philippians 4:6-7 ”Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”


Cheers to what we hope can be a stress and worry free week for you! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment